One of the most rampant addictions facing members of the LDS Church today is pornography and other forms of sexual addiction. As much as we like to pretend otherwise, the modern world we live in constantly bombards us with highly sexualized images and other media. No one is completely immune.
All addictions cause problems, but for an active Latter-day Saint, perhaps none cause more concern, embarrassment, and actual shame than does sexual addiction. For this reason, people who have the problem are unlikely to talk about it, and therefore don’t find the help they need.
While at its worst, this particular addiction can lead to violent and predatory behaviors against others, there are many forms which are considered victimless, and therefore, almost acceptable. However, while all addiction begins as a sense of inadequacy, fear, or as a coping mechanism—they all lead to further separation from God and His Spirit.
If you or someone you love is dealing with a sexual addiction, the following resources may be helpful:
- Do I Have a Sexual Addiction? (Quiz from SA.org)
- Hearthaven Online Forum (coming soon)
- Clean Hands, Pure Heart: Overcoming Addiction to Pornography through the Redeeming Power of Jesus Christ (links to our bookstore)
- Dear Bishop—Help for addicts, family members, bishops and others seeking to help (links to our bookstore)
- SA Literature (links to our bookstore)